Is paint thinner corrosive?

Is paint thinner corrosive?

Nicholas Edwards

The answer to this question is a definite yes. Unfortunately, it is not safe to use paint thinner as a household cleaning solution due to the chemicals found in the product. Paint thinner can be extremely dangerous if ingested and even fatal if inhaled. Some of the chemicals that can be found in paint thinner are mineral spirits, turpentine, acetone and benzene. 

LSO 2K Thinner 5L

Paint Thinner Safety Tips

If you choose to use paint thinner as an alternative cleaner or solvent then please read on for ways that you may be able to make it safer on your body and the area you use it in:   

      1)       When working with paint thinner wear protective eye-wear and gloves throughout the entire process. Please do not forget about protecting your lungs because paint thinner can be harmful if inhaled.   

      2)       Always use the proper safety equipment and work in a well ventilated area so that you will not ingest any of these chemicals or get them on your skin. If either of these things does happen to occur, then rinse your skin thoroughly and seek medical attention immediately.   

      3)       Never pour paint thinners down the drain because it will contaminate our water sources. If there is too much paint thinner left over to safely dispose of then let it evaporate into the air outside instead of letting it sit inside your home (or garage, shed etc.)    

      4)       Always make sure to keep track on what you throw away and where the thinner is. It is also a good idea to keep track of any containers that held paint thinner in your property so that they can be disposed of properly as well.    

      By following all of these helpful tips, hopefully you will stay safe when using paint thinner as a cleaning solution or solvent!